Wednesday, January 2, 2008

No Country For Old Men Review

I recently Caught a screening of one of the most hyped flicks of the year at my local dollar theater with a friend of mine,(I'm a cheap prick). Needless to say that we were both excited to check out the Coen Brothers latest endeavor. We entered the medium size theater expecting a slow paced action flick, But nothing could prepare us for what we were to witness.

What we saw that night was a visually and emotionly stunning film which defies movie formula and by the end, truly becomes its own genre. The kind of movie that doesn't leave you once you left the theater. This is the kinda movie that proves that film making isn't just about being famous, It's an art. This ladies and gentleman is how its done. Lets get on with the review.

Without giving away too much of the plot,(I wouldn't forgive myself) A hunter, played by actor of the year Josh Brolin, Finds a bunch of dead bodies, Heroin, and two million in cash. He gets greedy and takes the cash, but not before the scariest damn antagonist of all time finds out that he has the money. What results is quite possibly the most emotional thrill ride I've ever seen.
This is a tale of cat and mouse at its finest.

Why it works is because its like two different movies. It starts off as an action for the first 3/4 of the movie, Then the rug gets pulled from under you in a scene which has audiences more divided than any movie I've ever seen. The Coens stuck very close to the source material here and its a refreshing change of pace. This is also one of the most beautifully shot films of the year, right up there with Into the Wild.

The performances here are all top notch. In fact out of the three leads I really don't know which one was better. But for me Javier Bardem as the unrelenting, yet loyal contract killer is the real standout. In what is the most chilling characters I've seen in cinema, he brings it all to the table. I even like the haircut. Tommy Lee Jones as Ed Tom Bell is at first scene as a side character and comic relief, Yet this character continues to evolve throughout the story and hearing about his dream still brings me to tears. Josh Brolin is excellent as Llewelyn Moss. The former Goonie starts off as rather boring yet turns into a resourceful, yet caring person. Woody Harrelson and Kelly macdonald both shine even though their screen time is rather minor

I seriously cannot find one glaring flaw in this masterpiece. I can only hope the Coens and the cast receive some well deserved Oscar attention and this films finds more of an audience. If your reading this and still debating on whether to see this, get off your ass and go see it with an open mind. Your brain will thank you later.

No comments: